Races

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride I'm running and I won't touch ground Oh-no, I got to keep on movin'

This morning I headed out of the house with my iPod shuffle. Though I don't always run with music, it definitely helps get me down the road sometimes. When we were running in middle school I had a yellow waterproof Walkman, remember those? In high school my mom bought me a Diskman and a neoprene belt that you could wear around your waist so it wouldn't bounce and skip or scratch the disk. The invention of the iPod made it a lot less awkward to run with music, and the introduction of the white ear buds made it easier for everyone to know how cool I was to be running with an iPod. Recently, my father managed to get all the music off of my first iPod before it died completely. Listening to albums and artists that I haven't thought about in years is great and I'm going to spend a serious amount of time making up some new play lists. I was a lot cooler in college than I am now, or at least a lot more hip to what music was around. Though I used to pride myself on my ability to make a solid mix, now, more often than not, I put my iPod on shuffle or download a pre made mix. Rock My Run is a great website with all kinds of mixes. Today I ran to a mix they released to support Breast Cancer Awareness. It is a 45 minute mix of classic motivational songs like Eye of the Tiger, I Won't Back Down, Survivor and Break My Stride. All the songs are on the slow side but this week I am focusing on getting miles on my feet, no thoughts to pace or speed.
I did my Turtle Bay Run today and can't seem to get the map to show up here. (Does anyone know a good gadget to add so I can show you the maps of where I run?)
The run to Turtle Bay is a flat run, and those can be hard to find on volcanic islands. There is one big hill (or two if you run down the back side and back up) at the turn around with a view of the harbor. My favorite part of the run is the middle section. I turn off the main road that leaves the harbor and head onto the quiet road that leads to Turtle Bay. There are hardly any cars on this road, more commonly I see people riding donkeys or horses. Most days I don't see anyone at all, though, and it is really peaceful.

Running to a mix dedicated to those who have dealt with Breast Cancer got me thinking about charity runs. Last night at Scully's I ran into a couple of friends and while were were sipping our expresso martinis another friend mentioned that IYC is setting up a crew marathon in St. Maarten in January. I have never participated in a fundraising run. Many of the races I enter donate a portion to a charity but don't have a fundraising stipulation for running the race. I know many of you have teamed up with Team in Training or even started your own groups like Epic Man. How has it affected your running? After reading my posts yesterday, Seth reminded me that the annual Epic Man is in April in conjunction with the Boston Marathon, and with all that training I'm going to be doing, I should finally join the team. Though I can't make it up to Boston that week, it always falls in the middle of the Antigua Classic Yacht Regatta, I will try to brainstorm 3 epic activities that I can do here in Antigua that day. Perhaps it should involve a paddleboard....
With a crew marathon in January, 8 Tuff miles in February and an Antigua Epic in April the Caribbean is finally beefing up it's race calendar. I never know my work schedule ahead of time but I like to keep events on my calendar so when some free time comes up I can jump into a race. As for now I'm going to go jump into the sea, did I mention that it is hot here?!
Have a good run

No comments:

Post a Comment