Races

Monday, December 23, 2013

O Holy Hills

Merry Christmas Eve Eve!

I didn't run yesterday but had a big kite session instead. I suppose kiting is pretty good cross training, my legs and core get a pretty good work out anyways. I was on the water for 2 hours or so and went for a bit of an exploratory kite further upwind than we usually bother going. There is a break in the reef about a mile up and you can get some big waves by heading up there. It was fun to play in the deep water and even more fun to have a killer downwind run to the beach afterwards.
This morning I got back to it. I set out of the house intending to do a 6 mile loop that involves some pretty serious hills. I included the elevation map with my MapMyRun though my legs seem to disagree with what it says. This run starts by going up and then up some more then dooooown (like with a Cher accent). Usually hill runs end up with a pretty good overall average pace because I get going pretty fast on the down hills. Not in this run. The hills here are so steep it is hard and scary to run down them quickly. It has also been raining a lot and if the roads stay wet they get covered in a slick algae that got me on my first step out of the driveway. Yup, clicked the watch on, stepped forward and Bang! I'm on the ground. This is not a good way to start a run, but I got up and continued up the hill.
After the big dooooown hill to the beach the run turns onto the new road that turns the run into a loop. This is very exciting because the road didn't exist when I lived here and it is always nicer to run a loop than out and back. The road goes up and down a lot within the Mango Bay and Nail Bay resorts. I was looking for the newest road that takes you up over the mountain instead of running all the way through Nail Bay and ended up taking a few extra hills in my search for the shortcut! I never found the road that I could see on my satellite map and I think it is actually just a powerline road.
My 6 mile run turned into a 9.5 mile run/walk/hike. It is nice to get some distance in, even unintentionally, and my watch did a song and dance when I finished with my biggest distance yet. (That is actually not true, but I had to replace my Nike+ earlier this year and quite a few of my longer runs never got stored).
My legs are tired and my knee is stiff from falling on it, but it was a nice day for a run. The wind is keeping the temperature down so it wasn't too hot even on the big hills. When I finally reached the last ascent I got buffeted with 25knots in the face. The Christmas Winds are definitely here!
Tune in tomorrow for how we do Christmas with no snow.






                    Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyRun
               

No comments:

Post a Comment