Races

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Mostly Flat

The training program that I am following is the Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster program. The emphasis of the program is 3 hard runs and 2 sessions of cross training in a given week for 16 weeks leading up to your race. In the book they have training programs for the 5k, 10k, 1/2 and full marathon, as well as tips on cross training, fueling, stretching, etcetera.
The three key runs each week are; a long distance run, building miles each week, like any marathon training, a repeat run ideally on a track of repeats at race pace, and a tempo run of a few miles slightly slower than race pace.
Today was the first day I did a run from the training schedule. I set out this morning with my Nike+ watch to map out someplace where repeats were possible. There isn't a track close by and finding flat road can be difficult around here. I headed over the hill to the beach to measure out the parking lot there. The road along the beach is a lot shorter than I thought and is only about 200m long, not so good for mile repeats, I'd be turning around so much I would probably fall over!
Today's work out was 3X1600 with 400m rest intervals. As I write this I realize I had it in my head that the work out was 4X1600 with 200m RI and that's what I ran. whoops.
Since there wasn't enough distance along the beach I ran to the harbor started my timer outside of the Yacht Club. The road is flat as you head out of the village all the way to Cobbs Cross and I ran my first 1600m in 8:11. I was aiming for 8:20 and trying to get all 4 repeats to finish within a couple seconds of each other. My second mile was from the Cobb's Cross Corner down the road to St. James. Now when I say the road from town and to St. James is flat I mean Mostly Flat. Like how Wesley was mostly dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do. Go through his clothes and look for loose change!" There's a big difference between flat and mostly flat. The road to St. James is mostly flat which is slightly uphill. I ran my second and third repeats on the same stretch of road. I ran the second 1600 in 8:30 and my third in 7:30. That is the difference. Slightly uphill means slightly downhill on the way back. My final 1600 took me back past my house in 7:40.
I cooled down with a walk to Genny's store to buy some juice to rehydrate. I drink watered down juice instead of sports drinks and find they are full of sugar and vitamin C. When I'm running any kind of distance and it's hot I crave lemonade like crazy. Maybe it's all those laps from Portsmouth to the Wentworth and back ending at the juice stand. All I know is after a hot run there is nothing better than wicked cold lemonade! There is no lemonade here but they do make yummy local juices with mango and passion fruit and guava. I grabbed a couple of those and headed home to write this blog.
All in all I had a great run, misread the training plan, did an extra mile and didn't run them in the same time at all. I guess it's only day 1 but I feel good about the whole thing and I have a nice cold glass of Caribbean Medley juice and water next to me. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment