Races

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Chiropractor visit

I went to see a chiropractor. This is probably not a big event in most people's lives but I have been putting it off for awhile now. I believe that the spine is an important part of the body to keep healthy but I feel like chiropractors get paid by telling you to come back again and again. Surely, if it is not a chronic injury, a visit or two should be able to fix most problems. I am also not a massage person and though I love to talk about myself, I don't like doing it to strangers and medical professionals. I suppose with my job, lifestyle and all the running I have been lucky not to have any back problems so far. I decided, finally, to go see someone because of an issue that has been bugging me since September. On my second east bound crossing this summer I tweaked something between my shoulder blades and was experiencing a lot of pain lifting my head up off my pillow. Once it was up it was painful to look to the right, but nothing good happens on that side anyways, right? Being in the middle of the Atlantic, on some smaller Atlantic islands, and main land Spain (where I don't speak the language) allowed me to avoid going to see anyone for the next couple of months. Though I passed back through the States a couple times this fall I didn't manage to see a chiropractor there. I usually didn't have time and, to be honest, I am scared of doing anything medically related in the US without health insurance. I haven't been following the progress of the Affordable Care Act or ObamaCare and haven't signed up for personal health insurance that covers me inside the US leaving me with a very good travel insurance plan that covers emergency care. I'm sure it says something significant about the health care polices in the United States that I would rather wait and see someone in a 2nd world Caribbean island.

Knowing I would have a little time here in Tortola I asked a friend who she recommended here and was able to go in and see Dr. Nicole yesterday during work. She sat me down and talked to me about my health and daily life and what she was aiming to do during the adjustment of my spine. We also talked about running,  knee pain and Osgood Schallters. She adjusted my spine starting with my legs. My left leg was shorter than my right, showing her that my sacrum was misaligned. She proved this to me by bending my legs at my knee and observing that my right leg was able to bend more than my left. After the adjustment they both had the same amount of bend. She adjusted some more of my spine and found a lot of "heat" (inflammation) in my L3, T6 and a few of my C vertebrates. She also insisted on seeing me again this morning. All day yesterday I kept waiting for the miracle moment when I could touch my chin to my chest without feeling the muscles in my back complain. It never came and I woke up this morning with quite a bit of pain in the same area as always. I had decided to skip the appointment this morning until I talked to Ben last night. He uses a chiropractor for a chronic injury in his upper back and neck and goes many times a month. He reassured me that there would be no magic moment when I felt totally cured, especially after only one adjustment, and encouraged me to go back this morning. After getting the boat ready for charter I begrudgingly shoved some cash in my pocket and headed to the office. Dr. Nicole did another adjustment, cracked a few more bones and twisted my neck. She also requested that I don't run today. I skipped yesterday and decided not to run this morning since I had so much discomfort sleeping. I wasn't happy to hear her recommend a swim for today but I will fit one in after work and run in the morning. She wants me to go back one more time on Friday before I pick up my charter. I'm still undecided if any of this makes a difference or if it is just a frivolous expense.  I know there are lots of alternative medicine practices out there and have heard people swear by all sorts of things from acupuncture to pilates. Do any of you use a chiropractor or another type of therapy in conjunction with your training?

Here are some photos from that crossing taken in Faial, Madeira and Barcelona
Gaudi in Barcelona

Gaudi in Barcelona

Running in Madeira

Boats in Madeira

Pico over the rooftop in Horta

Red Rock in Madeira

No comments:

Post a Comment