Races

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Newton, New Shoes and a New Name

Getting on a plane after a great week is not my favorite part of my job. I get incredibly melancholy on planes. Maybe its the anonymity of airports. Maybe it's coming down off of the adrenaline spike that's present in racing and traveling. Either way when I arrived back in Newport I was bummed. It was bitterly cold and overcast and seemed awfully quite after a hectic week in the islands.  My first day back I didn't run.  Now we all know I love running but I still run into the inevitable mental block that stops me from getting up early or out the door. I don't know why this is still an option in my brain, I never regret going for a run and always kick myself for not going. Still, I hit the big wall of excuses sometimes. Newton says an object in motion stays in motion and I completely agree and not just because of gravity or lack of friction. When I'm busy and have 100 things to accomplish in a day I will hit them all, fit in a run and love it. When I don't have a whole lot on the schedule everything seems to come to a crawl and I don't want to do anything at all. After a jam packed week of sailing, running and socializing my life in Newport seemed wide open, plenty of time to fit in some running, and yet I danced around it for the first two days. I did get out the door after work on Friday, the second day, and it was great. I just need to get moving and keep moving and when I run into doubt or excuses keep I have a list of things that motivate me near by.
My list includes;
-Buying new gear and trying it out
-Making a new play list and rocking out
-Racing or group runs
-Increasing the accountability by blogging or telling a friend what I'm doing

I ran Friday as a warm up for the Trail 10k on Saturday. I have started to join some running groups, or have at least joined their facebook pages. Talking about running and running in groups is a great way to find races and other activities in this area. I have never really explored RI outside of Newport or what you can get to by boat and now that I have some wheels I have been trying to get out there and run in new places. The 10k was a great example of that, through a nature area you would never have guessed was there! It was also an interesting eye opener to the amount of running gear most people have. I have always been pretty minimalist due to packing restrictions and thus I have my running shoes until they blow out. One pair. Looking around at the ground yesterday people were wearing all sorts of trail shoes, Trax, Crampons, gaters and even the racing snow shoes. As I looked down at my very comfortable, light weight, mesh New Balances I realized I could probably do with a new pair, that had a little more shoe to them. Shoe and gear envy aside, my shoes are blown out on the toe edges and have started to feel dead in the soles.  After the race I headed up to Providence to the Rhode Runner shoe store. I have seen Rhode Runner jerseys on a lot of the runners around here and they set up a few of the races and group runs and I had never been up to the store. The store has treadmills and a track for you to run on so they can analyze your pronation and what type of shoe you should run in. I already know what type of shoe I like but I seem to keep growing out of the ones I have. I loved the pair of Merrells I ran Sugarloaf in but when I went to buy another pair they were too small. I bought the next size up but they seemed too tight on my toes. Yesterday I wanted to try on some of the wide models to see what brands fit best. I tried on women's 10s and even they seemed tight in some styles so the man helping me started bringing me men's sizes. I ended up with a new pair of New Balance RC 1400s. On my way home I stopped at Marshalls to continue the credit card abuse. Middletown, Rhode Island has the best Marshalls. Ever. And on the clearance shelf because no one has feet as large as mine, was a pair of Mizuno Sayonaras in just my size! Well, I guess two pairs can't hurt!

I laced up the Sayonaras for 9 miles this morning around snowy Newport. It snowed a couple of inches last night and dusted the streets and sidewalks. It was pretty warm and I pounded out to the beaches and the bird sanctuary. I was out early enough that the roads weren't too slushy and there was minimal traffic to avoid.  Well, except for the geese!



I realized that my blog is still titled 30 for 30 and that it is time for a new name. I was hoping something clever would come to be as I ran around in the snow. or on the beach. or in Europe. oh...There it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment