Races

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Superyacht racing

This weekend was the Super Yacht Challenge regatta in Antigua. After 13 miles on Wednesday my legs were pretty sore. Thursday I went out to practice on Marie, the 180' ketch that I was sailing on for the weekend. Marie races with more than 30 people on board and everyone has a job to do. My job was to tend the starboard running back stay through the tacks and handle the mizzen staysail halyard for the downwind legs. Though its the shorter mast, the mizzen mast on Marie is the tallest mast I have worked with. The mizzen staysail gets hoisted on every downwind leg, dropped before a jibe, and hoisted again after the jibe is complete. It is a furled sail that is relatively simple to deploy so it is used a lot. The mizzen team was pretty busy in all the races. We raced one long race on Friday, 2 short races on Saturday and a single race on Sunday. We sailed the boat well, improving everyday and making gains all over the course. It's pretty hard to describe super yacht racing so I'm just going to put up some photos I took over the weekend.







No comments:

Post a Comment